This complete guide to solar ovens will not only teach you what you need and want to know about cooking with the power of the sun, but will also answer a question that we hear so much…do solar ovens really work?
Solar ovens have been steadily increasing in popularity over the last several years. If you want an eco-friendly way to cook meals on a daily basis, this is an option worth exploring. In this article we will take a close look at these home and portable appliances and everything they have to offer. It is important that you get the facts before making a decision either way.
How Solar Ovens Work
A solar oven transforms natural sunlight into energy for cooking food. Most of these appliances feature a solar panel that sends UV rays into the oven’s insulated box. Once the heat accumulates in the sealed insulated chamber, it can be used to power the oven. The dark pot takes in the sunlight and prevents it from escaping.
Benefits of Using a Solar Oven
There are lots of different benefits associated with using a solar oven that you should be aware of, including:
- It’s simple: The average solar oven is actually very simple and easy to operate once you get used to it. They don’t typically require you to follow any complicated steps to cook your favorite meals.
- Save money: You can save hundreds of dollars each year on your monthly utility bill with a solar powered oven. These savings add up very quickly, so it doesn’t take long to start seeing this benefit.
- Great for off grid situations: A solar oven can be incredibly useful when you are going camping or there is an emergency of some kind. If you ever lose power to your home, you can use one of these ovens to cook food. This provides you with a certain amount of independence from the power grid.
- Eco friendly: These ovens are very eco-friendly and will help you with decreasing your carbon footprint. It is a great way to do your small part for the environment on a daily basis.
- Lots of options: There are tons of different solar ovens to choose from on the market. This means that you will most likely be able to find one to match your needs after a little research.
Drawbacks of Using a Solar Oven
Some of the drawbacks that are associated with using a solar oven include:
- Large upfront cost: While you can save a lot of money in the long term with a solar oven, they do cost quite a bit of money upfront.
- Not the most convenient option: The fact is that a solar powered oven isn’t always convenient like traditional models.
- Performance depends on the weather: Depending on what the weather is like, you might not always get the best performance from your solar oven.
Things to Look for in a Solar Oven
When you are trying to find the very best solar oven, it is important to know which things to look for. The following is a list of factors to consider before deciding on a certain oven to buy.
Ease of Use
You will definitely want to make a point of looking for a solar oven that is easy to use. The fact is that some of these appliances are more complicated than others. It is a good idea to find out how much time it takes to set up the oven and the process required to use it.
The size of the solar oven you buy is definitely something else you’ll need to take into consideration. If you have a limited amount of storage space in your home, this is something you will want to know before purchasing anything. It’s always good to look for ovens that have a compact design for easy storage. The size of your solar oven will be very important if you are going to be traveling with it. The last thing you want is an oversized oven to lug around when camping or in other situations.
Make sure that you also find out how much food each solar oven can cook at one time. This will ultimately determine how efficient the appliance is. The more food you can cook in one go, the less work you will have to do overall.
You want to find a solar oven that has a very sturdy construction so you can trust that it will last a long time. It is fairly easy to determine how durable these appliances are by the materials they are made from. The stronger the materials, the more use you can expect to get out of your oven. There is just no point in purchasing one that is going to break down and stop working in just a year or two.
The fact that we’ve created this paragraph about cooking speed is proof-positive that answers the question, do solar ovens really work. Of course they do, or there wouldn’t be such a big industry around solar ovens.
There is actually a pretty big difference between most solar ovens when it comes to how quickly they cook food. You want to choose an oven that will be able to get the job done as efficiently as possible. While this is something that you may only be able to find out once you start using it, it is important to consider.
You also want to find out which accessories you are going to receive with each solar oven. Some of these ovens come with more extras than others. Certain ovens will give you complimentary pots and pans or even utensils to eat with. If you want to get a truly good deal on your solar oven, you need to factor this in as well.
A lot of these ovens also come with a carrying case, which will make transporting yours much easier. If you are planning on taking the oven camping, you definitely want a durable case to put it in.
There are also models that include a food probe thermometer for checking to see if your food is ready to eat. If you don’t get one of these devices with your oven, you should really buy one. This will make it easy to tell if the food you are cooking is safe to consume.
If you do a decent amount of food dehydrating, you might want to consider getting dehydrating racks. These racks will provide you with an easier way to do this type of food prep. Make sure you get ones that are very sturdy so they last a while.
Types of Solar Ovens
There are a few different types of solar ovens to choose from, including:
- Box cookers: These solar cookers feature glass or plastic tops that are transparent with a reflector for directing sunlight. You can usually take the top of the cooker off to put your food in. These boxes have thermal insulation that keep the heat absorbed by the sun trapped inside once it has been collected.
- Panel cookers: A panel cooker is a cheaper option that uses reflective panels to direct UV rays from the sun onto containers filled with food inside. It is fairly easy to make these solar ovens at home with minimal materials and expense.
- Parabolic cookers: Parabolic solar cookers collect heat from the sun at the bottom of a pot, which is where the food goes. One of the best things about these solar ovens is that they heat up very quickly.
Do Solar Ovens Really Work – Best Solar Ovens
With all of the different solar ovens on the market, it is important that you narrow down your options. We have listed a few of the very best models available right now, so you will have a good place to start with your research.
The GoSun 100533426 Portable Solar Grill gives you a safe and easy way to make food in one of the most eco-friendly ways possible. It only takes a matter of seconds to set up, and cleaning is a breeze.
- Soft touch rubber grips: The rubber grips on this solar oven give you a safe and comfortable way to handle it.
- Insulated lid: This oven’s stainless steel insulated lid is both very durable and good at keeping heat from the sun trapped inside.
- Vacuum tube: The vacuum tube serves as an ideal insulator, converting up to 80% of the sun’s UV rays into heat.
- Portable: The very compact and lightweight design of this solar oven makes it very portable and easy to travel with.
- Durable: The stainless steel frame and parts of this appliance give you years of use without any issues.
- Cooks in cloudy weather: This solar oven will even work well in cloudy weather when the sun isn’t shining its brightest.
- Problems with tray system: Some customers have reported problems with the tray system sticking.
This solar oven is a great choice if you do a lot of camping, as it is very compact and portable. It also gives you a fast and easy way to cook food using only the power of the sun.
For more details, buyers reviews, and current pricing, click here…….
The All American Sun Oven has an incredible durable and efficient design that should be able to match your needs perfectly. It is made entirely in America in accordance with the highest quality control standards.
- Free CD: The complimentary CD that is included with this solar oven gives you hundreds of recipes and emergency preparedness tips.
- Wind resistant design: This solar oven is specifically designed to work well even in very windy conditions.
- Aluminum reflectors: The anodized aluminum reflectors this solar oven uses make it extremely efficient overall.
- Easy to carry: The lightweight design and handle on this solar oven make it easy to carry when going camping.
- Set up in minutes: It only takes a matter of minutes to set up this solar oven and get cooking.
- Long lasting construction: The rust-proof highly polished aluminum reflectors work well and last a very long time through regular use.
- Waning performance with cloudy skies: You can expect a fairly significant decrease in cooking performance in cloudy conditions.
If you are looking for a reasonably priced solar oven that offers a highly efficient design, this one is definitely a good option to consider. It can provide you with years of consistently impressive performance.
For more details, buyers reviews, and current pricing, Click Here…
The Sunflair Portable Solar Oven measures 19 by 15.5 by 2 inches with a total weight of 8 pounds, making it very easy to travel with. It offers a very versatile design that allows you to bake cookies, dry fruits and much more.
- Closed cell insulation: This portable oven’s closed cell insulation keeps heat from escaping for fast and efficient cooking.
- Carrying bag: When you buy this solar oven, you will also get a handy carrying bag that makes transporting it much easier.
- Cookware: You will also receive a number of cookware items, including baking trays, dehydration racks, enamel pot, and silicone pots.
- Sturdy design: The rugged material this oven is made from will provide you with years of dependable use.
- Easy to travel with: The small size and lightweight folding design of this oven allows you to take it with you on trips without any hassle.
- Cooks for eight people: You can use this solar oven to cook for up to 8 people at a time, so nobody goes hungry.
- No instructions for accessories: This solar oven doesn’t include any instructions or usage tips for the cookware it comes with.
This is definitely one of the most versatile and efficient solar ovens available on the market right now. It is especially a great choice for those who go camping and travel a lot.
For more details, buyers reviews, and current pricing, Click Here….
Do Solar Ovens Really Work – Final Thoughts
The fact is that a solar oven can be an excellent overall investment, especially for those who find themselves off the grip for long periods. Buying one of these ovens can provide you with independence and peace of mind, which you simply cannot put a price on. It is important for you to look through your options so you can find an oven to match your needs exactly….and finally, a resounding YES, solar ovens do work!